Friday, August 24, 2007

New Adventures of MeMe and Gramps
Are the two of us just plain nutty or do we have Permanent Giggle-Box-Turned-Over Syndrome?Sometimes I laugh so much at the two of us that I get choked. What a way to go, I say. Last week's adventure at the dollar movie (hereafter referred to as the $ movie) wasn't absolutely hilarious, but it became hilarious with this week's events added to it. Now, let me clue you in on our ages. I'm not going to tell you exactly how old we are, but we were confronted with the reality of our advanced years after this week's $ (dollar) movie experience. We went to pick up Gramps' two latest prescriptions at the pharmacy drive-in. When we stopped at the window, the weekend pharmacist who was manning the window said to Gramps, before Gramps told her his name and why he was there, "Good evening. We have two prescriptions for you today." Now, does that speak volumes? I commented that it's pretty bad when the weekend pharmacist knows your face and your name and you've only been trading there for three months. Gramps says it's because young chicks always remember handsome older men. You just keep believing that, Gramps. At this point let me say thank God for Medicare and medical insurance for our frequent visits to the pharmacy! Now that I've set the image in your mind of our ages, let me continue on with last week's adventure at the $ movie theater. The movie that we chose to view was an animated movie about cute little penguins. It was darling and had lots of loud music and loud ocean scenes where the huge sky scraper sized waves carried the precious penguins as they competed in surfing contests. Fortunately the sound in the theater was turned up very, very loud or Gramps would have been horribly embarrassed when he got one of his famous 25 straight nose-clearing, eardrum-busting sneezing fits. When he starts, he can't stop until he goes on and on and on to 25 sneezes. He usually gets embarrassed and apologizes, but it doesn't perturb me because I got use to it years ago. I seize the opportunity to count the sneezes, appreciating the chance to exercise my mind by counting numbers correctly. That way I'm assured I'm not in the early stages of Old Timers Disease, as my dad used to call it. As I said, Gramps' award winning sneezing fit happened during a very, very loud scene of the movie so he didn't have to feel embarrassed by blocking out the audio part of the movie during his nose-clearing, ear busting sneezes. That was last week.However, this week we weren't so lucky. The movie we saw at the $ movie theater was an action packed thriller. You know what I'm talking about, one of those where you get dizzy because the action on the screen is so fast and disjointed that you have to hold onto the seat or the arm rests to keep from falling out on the sticky floor. At least Gramps and I do. Yesterday I noticed that Gramps was unusually calm during the fast paced scenes, not gripping the seat or the arm rests, but I failed to look at him to check out his calmness. All of a sudden, the sounds from the movie screen became very, very quiet because of a sweet love scene. I was enjoying the sweetness of the moment until, oh, no, "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ," somebody was snoring very loudly. I reluctantly checked Gramps and, yes, he was enjoying his afternoon nap in the $ movie theater. I thought his sneezing last week was loud, but the "ZZZZZZZZZZZZ," this week bounced off of the walls.I have to be truthful, I'm not entirely innocent. I had already taken my fifteen minute snooze during the first part of the movie, but I don't snore so nobody but Gramps knew it. Oh, well, with Gramps' loud snoring I guess the rest of the patrons of the $ movie theater figured out that we were two of those poor, unfortunate homeless people who spend a $ to get into the $ movie theater to take a cool, restful, quiet nap at the coolest place in town in the 101 degrees weather. I think that false image was probably confirmed when we both limped out of the room with my funny hip and Gramps' recent meniscus surgery leg limp.Gramps, you always keep me laughing! It's kind of like Cartoon Circus all the time.

No comments: