Saturday, March 20, 2010

LINDSEY'S SIDE OF THE STREET


Our granddaughter Lindsey is very fortunate. She has the ability to always be smiling. Sometimes it confuses her, also. She stated to me a few weeks ago that she always happy and can't understand why she is that way. She commented that she's always positive and enjoys life. It's puzzling to her, and I'm sure it's puzzling to others who habitually walk on the dark side of life.
What she doesn't know is that she inherited some good genes, the happy gene that causes people to always see good, always laugh at things, always think positively. That is a wonderful heritage to have, the happy gene.
I was listening to her tell a story about being with friends at a new park and a photographer happened to drive up and walked directly to the four friends, asking if he could take a picture for the paper of them playing on the new playground equipment. She said that they performed on the equipment in different stances while the photographer took pictures.
We quickly found the picture in the paper and she glowed with joy, as always, delighted with another of life's unexpected surprises. Of course, she immediately began texting all of her friends, spreading her exuberance around, which is her normal habit. What she might not know is that people are attracting to "sunny" individuals and that photographer was attracted the the light in her.
I was thinking about her capacity for happiness and the words to an old song came to my mind which perfected describes Lindsey.

"Grab you coat and grab your hat,
Leave your worries at the doorstep,
Life can be so sweet
On the sunny side of the street.

Can't you hear the pitty-pat,
And that happy tune is your step.
Life can be complete
On the sunny side of the street.

I used to walk in the shade
with my blues on parade.
But I'm not afraid,
This rover crossed over.

If I never have a coat
I'll be as rich as Rockefeller,
Gold dust at my feet
On the sunny side of the street.

It's wonderful just to be in her presence, gleaning some of the joy and happiness, enjoying life like Lindsey does. I pray she will always stay that way. I know she will. She's a teenager and still continues to walk, "Gold dust at my feet on the sunny side of the street." She'll always leave her worries on the door step and cross to the sunny side of the street where she sees joy in everything and entertains positive thoughts, speaking loving words and glows with excitement at every turn of events.
Keep spreading it around, Lindsey. The world needs your sunshine!

No comments: