Monday, March 3, 2008

A HAIR RAISING CHAIR


Gramps and I went to see a New York musical traveling company put on a performance of Camelot at a small college in eastern Oklahoma. It was an excellent performance.
After we left the theater, full to the brim with culture and sophistication, we passed a new business close to the college campus, right on Main Street.
Gramps said to me, very seriously, "Isn't that a terrible name for a beauty shop?"
"What name?" I inquired.
Gramps continued with his serious criticism. "See the name on the big sign over there advertising that new beauty shop? It says, 'The Electric Chair.'"
Surely not, was my thought, doubting that they would ever have any customers with a name like that. So I looked more closely in the direction of the sign. There it was as clear as day, "The Eclectic Chair."
Gramp's dyslexia had kicked in and he missed the C in "eclectic" and had added an R.
He's a hoot to live with.
I was relaying the occasion of Gramps dyslexic mistake to a friend and she told me that her sister-in-law misread a sign advertising a diaper service. She was incensed that a diaper service would name its company Titty Ditty. My friend clued her in, that the actual name was Tidy Didy.
Aging eyes plus a little dyslexia can get us into lots of trouble.

No comments: