Thursday, March 6, 2008

REAL LUCK


Be attentive to what you say to your grandchildren. We, as grandparents, have a monumental influence upon our grandchildren. Our actions are important, but our words are equally important.
When one of our grandsons, Jarrett, was visiting us from California one summer I casually mentioned to him that I had heard that luck means Living Under Christ's Kindness. He listened to me, and made his usual comment of, "Cool, Grandma."
A few months later we were visiting our son and his family in California. While we were there we were invited to attend open house at Jarrett's school. He was in first grade at the time. We observed his art work and his penmanship papers hanging on the wall and we were very proud of him because he has always been an excellent student. He's so eager to please his parents, grandparents and his teachers.
Jarrett introduced us to his teacher. She shook our hands and said to me, "Are you the grandma who told Jarrett what 'luck' means?"
I cautiously took credit for it, curious as to her reaction. The teacher gave Jarrett a motherly hug and said to him, "I'll never forget that 'luck' means Living Under Christ's Kindness."
She turned to us and said, "Jarrett was so enthused to share that with the class at the first of school and we were all delighted to know that. I will never forget it and I will never forget Jarrett for telling me."
Well, my chest swelled with pride, just like any grandparent does when someone praises a grand child. I was especially impressed that Jarrett was not ashamed to share that truth, that luck is Living Under Christ's Kindness. He's always been a deep thinker, very merciful, and a gift to us from God.
I know he'll always remember that luck is not just by a chance occurrence but it is a gift from Kindness Himself.

No comments: