Friday, December 7, 2007

DUST OR NO DUST?


I love decorating for all occasions, but I especially love decorating for Christmas. Gramps has always said that I get my taste in colors from south of the border. He's right. I love bright colors in all hues and in many combinations.
When Christmas comes I decorate anything and everything that doesn't walk, talk, and move around on two legs or four legs. Actually when I'm in the middle of decorating, Gramps tells our family and visitors that they should always keep moving because if they sit or stand still long enouth I'll decorate them. It's very tempting, really.
Today I found a perk to overdoing the decorating and being as garish as I want to be. I decided that it would be a waste of precious time to dust anything that I'm going to decorate because the dust will be hidden by the abundance of decorations. Fortunately, dust is not one of our personal antigens, so it's no health hazard to Gramps and me. With the blinking lights which I put on everything and the garish colors in the plethora of decorations that adorn the inside of our house, no one will know that there is a layer of dust under all of it. What you don't know won't hurt you. If guests start to sneeze, I'll just offer them a Benadryl without any explanation except that it must be the Oklahoma winds blowing something in.
The bonus of my new discovery is that I won't have to dust again until close to the middle of January because we observe Twelfth Night and leave the Christmas decorations up until then. Yea! That means I can delay my least favorite chore of dusting for at least thirty more days. That makes sixty days total, since the last time I dusted was before Thanksgiving. No one will know the difference unless you or I tell them, and I never reveal my secrets to anyone except my most trusted friends.
By the middle of January I'll put the decorations up in storage boxes and get the Pledge out and clean and shine everything that doesn't walk or talk or move around, so the timing will be perfect.
You just have to figure these things out as you get older.

No comments: