Sunday, December 2, 2007

MISTAKES

"Neil is a successful businessman now"

Our grandson Neil has always had great wisdom, even when he was a little boy. He spoke deep, convicting wisdom to me one time and I think maybe it came from heaven because of its importance.
Gramps, Neil and I had gone to eat at a fast food place, Neil's favorite one. Gramps had inadvertently locked the keys in the car and we were miles from home. After calling several neighbors and family members who weren't home at the time, the only thing left to do was walk home.
I began joking with Neil, trying to lighten the mood of everyone involved in the experience, and I said, "Well, Neil, what are we going to have to do to Gramps for locking the keys in the car? Can you think of anything we could do to him?" My objective was not to really punish Gramps, just get Neil's mind off of the long walk."
The following words came out of the mouth of Neil, seven years old at the time, "Grandma, everybody makes mistakes and next time it might be you."
Wow, did that stop me in my tracks! Such great wisdom from a child. I congratulated Neil on his mature insight and asked him to forgive me for my curt comment. Of course he did.
The good news is that we stopped at a store on the long walk home and the owner let us borrow his car to drive home to get our keys.
I think that Neil's wise comment set up the solution to the problem because it took all guilt off of Gramps and all sarcasm off of me. That cleared the atmosphere for the solution to appear. I learned a lifelong lesson from Neil, not to hold anyone to their mistakes because I might be the next one to make a mistake.
Thanks to Neil for his wise words and the courage to say them.

No comments: